We hear a lot about surrogacy these days. Mostly it’s stories about some celebrities or lonely men. However, many people don’t realize that surrogate pregnancy is much more than that. When is it necessary?
- Infertility and motherhood. For many people, the question of infertility is a traumatic one. Before all the advantages that surrogacy gave us, the only way for a woman to have a child was to adopt one. Even though it seems like an option, it is essential to remember that a woman misses the opportunity to experience early motherhood. In reality, it is hard for many people to feel this mother-child connection with a kid from foster care. But surrogacy makes it psychologically easier for females with infertility to get the closest feeling of raising a child of their own.
- Risks follow age. For people, women that are in this risky age, surrogacy also might be an option. It is much less dangerous for them, as for the future baby. When picking a surrogate mother, you can be sure that the child will most likely be healthy.
- Same-sex couples. As we reached certain equality among gay couples, surrogacy became one of the most popular choices for having a baby. Male individuals also want to have their own family and have kids with their genes. For same-sex couples, surrogacy and sperm donations are the only way to have a biological daughter or a son.
- Single parenting. Today being a single parent is not so rare. And again, artificial fertilization is what many people in this position go for. And it really is the best option here because you can have your kid with no strings attached.
As you can see, there are many reasons why people decide to choose surrogacy. And that proves why surrogacy is so common these days.
Methods and implementation of surrogacy
A lot of questions come up in our minds when we talk about surrogate pregnancy. Different methods are applied for specific individual situations.
There are several types:
- Traditional or partial surrogacy. Under traditional (partial), we understand two biological parents involved. The father’s sperm fertilizes the egg. This type of surrogacy is the most common one; however, it is more complicated. Here there are mostly three people involved — intended parents and a biological mother. So when we are talking from the perspective of law, there has to be a lot of juristical paperwork.
- Gestational or full surrogacy. Gestational (full) means that the surrogate mother doesn’t have a biological connection to the baby she’s carrying. Conception is happening outside of the genetic mother’s body, and later, the fertilized egg is transferred into the woman’s uterus. So this type is more for women that can’t get pregnant themselves.
Methods are usually picked based on the individual’s request and their experience.
How to Pick a Surrogate Mother?
The process of picking a surrogate person is not a quick deal. However, today thanks to the companies that offer you surrogacy services, it became much easier. Companies give you all detailed information about possible surrogates. And before the actual fertilization, you can talk to the future biological mother and make any question you have clear.
Profits for Intended Parents
How do future parents benefit from these services? Here’s what they get:
- A child. Of course, the first and main advantage is to finally have a kid. People who decide to go for surrogacy probably really want one, so finally having their child brings them a lot of joy and happiness.
- Choose genetics. The great thing about surrogacy is that it allows you to choose a mother. The decision can be made based on the appearance, health history, or even ancestors.
- Adoption replacement. Adopting a kid from foster care is a very hard and responsible thing to do. For many people, it is hard to accept someone else’s child. That is one of the reasons why they apply for the procedure. It is an ultimate way of having your child make connections with them.
Experiencing parenthood for people that it was impossible to, probably counts as the biggest profit.
Profits for Surrogate Mothers
We always talk about intended parents and what the process looks like for them. But are there any benefits for surrogate mothers? Let us explain:
- They are helping people. Many women genuinely want to help others in fulfilling their dreams of having a child. Why not help someone when you can, right? And even though having a kid is often physically and emotionally demanding, surrogate mothers often say that seeing the intended parent’s happy faces is worth it all.
- Finance. Surrogate mothers earn enough, and it is a great addition to what they are doing. Being beneficial to others and having money attracts them.
- Safety first. In countries where the procedure is legal, the government provides all the rights and defends the surrogate mother if needed.
No matter what your intentions are, surrogacy is a great option to start a family. Having kids today is much easier because of it.