No matter how much you maintain or clean your timber floors, the floor will require frequent sanding and polishing. You need to use the timber floor polish to make sure that the floor continues to look new at all times. When compared to normal wooden floor, timber floor is much different. Timber floor can make the home or office even more attractive. Timber is eco-friendly material that is prepared for recycled wood. Beautiful floor is created with the art of textures and colors. The appearance, strength and durability of timber floor are always good. If the floor has scratches and appears to lack luster, you may consider polishing the floor.
Timber floor polish can fabulously restore the shine and luster. To make your floor presentable and beautiful, you need to polish it in every 2-3 months. It is important to clean the floor and prepare it for polishing. Simple floor maintenance will keep your floor looking great. If you are the owner of a commercial area, it is even more important to polish the floor. In order to carry out floor polishing, you need to follow certain steps.
Steps to cleaning the floor and preparing it for floor polishing
- Firstly, you need to remove the rugs and furniture. You may place floor pads under the legs of the furniture and then shift the furniture.
- To remove dust and debris from the floor, you may vacuum the floor. You need to ensure that the vacuum cleaner has no faulty wheel as that might cause scratches and damage the floor.
- It is now time to find the finish of the floor. If the finishing of your floor is polyurethaned, the surface will be hard. Such a floor can only be cleaned with small amounts of water. Lacquered floor has to be waxed since this type of floor cannot sustain water.
- Mop the floor if the finish is polyurethaned. Use dishwashing liquid and make a solution by adding that to water. Use a mop to clean the surface with the solution. If the floor has been waxed, you should never mop it. You may clean by vacuuming.
- Use a microfiber cloth to buff the floor. You may also use buffing machine.
How to polish the wooden floor?
If you feel that it is time to go for timber floor polish, then make sure that you take the right steps. Follow the below mentioned steps for doing that:
- If the finish of your floor is polyurethane, you can buy water based floor polish. If the finishing is different, you may use wax-based finish. Make sure that the polish does not have volatile organic compound.
- To make sure that you do not end up damaging the floor, you should read the instructions stated on the manual carefully. Certain floors need to be waxed while others need to be sanded before polishing. You need to follow all the safety guidelines.
- Before applying the polish, you must test the polish. Apply polish only under furniture and see if it discolors the wood. If there is no damage to the floor, you may use it for the entire floor.
- You may either spray the timber floor polish or apply it on the cloth and then use it. For a streak-free finish, you may choose feathering technique.
- You should start from the interior corner and move outwards. Start by covering just 3 by 3 feet section and polishing it. Then, move to the width of the room. Continue along third corner and use feathering technique. The doorway area should be polished at the end to avoid ruining the work.
- After you apply polish, the floor will be sticky. Let the floor surface to dry completely. Leave the floor for 24 hours before you walk inside.
Ongoing floor protection is must to consider. If you care for the hardwood floor, it will look great for years.